Thursday, April 16, 2009

houston we have a problem

They are taking some of our beds to form a new unit full of yucky services like oto and plastics. We will go from 48 beds to 36. This is horrible, horrible news because it means our group of nurses will splinter and scatter to the wind. We are a great group that works well together. We are notorious for having the best teamwork in the hospital. Now many of us will be put in a position where we are forced to choose between working on a different unit or finding a job elsewhere, or even switching shifts.

This is terrible. People were in tears. And the kicker is that they are doing it because we complained about having off-services. Actually, we complained that we were taking off-services when cardiac patients were ready to come to the floor. BASTARDS.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel for you. I've met some of your co-workers at job fairs.

But I'm going to remind you to be grateful for what you have. 15 years of working at the U, one brand new BSN and I can't be hired as an RN (due to the "hiring freeze" that no-one in recruitment will admit to; I graduated cum laude, STT, have patient care experience, another degree - go figure). Had you graduated one year later, you too could find yourself here.

I've enjoyed reading about your progression from rookie to confident RN. You are someone I'd like to learn from. Hope I get to make that journey too; 'though not likely at the U.