Tuesday, January 27, 2009

language lessons

I had a patient today who spoke no English, only French. His family was not around, so I spent the better part of my day trying to remember high school French. I did ok... I guess. The interpreter came for the important stuff. My friend had a guy down the hall who only speaks Hindi... I did much better interpreting for him. I just love the fact that we are a hospital in such a diverse area, with so many beautiful cultures and languages flowing around us. It's refreshing.

So my Pod, or the section of our unit that I'm assigned to, has been nicknamed 'The Pod of Death'. Our acuity level is sky-high, with a ton of off-service total care patients. All these broken bones, and ostomies, and seizures... they need to go! We want CABGs, esophagectomies, and lung biopsies! This is other stuff is just... crap. And we're working like slaves.

No comments: