Tuesday, January 20, 2009

getting things done

I worked three days in a row, without switching patients. I find this the be the best way to move a patient's progress forward, consistency in nursing that leads to follow-through. I think it gets a nurse fired up to see improvement the day after she put in a lot of hard work. At least, it does me. I had some arguments with interns and residents, and really stood on my own two feet as a patient advocate and equal member of the health care team. I was proud of myself, proud of the flower that my patient gave me, proud of the message from our best surgeon that said 'Good Job!' on my pager, and proud of way I handled a particularly difficult patient, one that no other nurse could stand.

I am thinking about doing a self-defense program for the nurses on my unit. Not now, but later.

No comments: