Monday, August 12, 2013

highlights of my day(s)

1) The other day one of our patient's needed an emergent ex-lap (exploratory laparotomy) for abdominal compartment syndrome, so the ICU room was turned into a temporary OR. And we all wanted to watch.
2) The GI and Surgery consulting teams spent a whole day contradicting each other and sabatoging each other's plans. The ICU team got her extubated and off pressors. Consulting teams: get along or get out!

3) The patient in the above scenario spoke Chaldean, which is a dialect of Arameic, which as you can imagine, is not a widely spoken language in these parts. In fact, it is spoken only by certain natives of Kurdistan and its diaspora. My other patient spoke Spanish. I speak neither.
4) I'm excited because my hero, friend, and favorite doctor of all-time is on the Palliative Care team, and my patient needs a palliative care consult. I know, I know, it's all about me.
5) Is anything better than a physician's permission to NOT do a sedation holiday? It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card! (Once again- all about me.)

No comments: