Wednesday, July 11, 2012

exhaustion

Am I getting old or something??? I'm only in my late 20s! But whenever I work 3 12s in a row, I just am plain exhausted the next day. I can't fight the sleepiness. I sleep for around 24-36 hours afterwards! I do struggle with Excessive Daytime Sleepiness but the 3 in a rows really exacerbate it. I guess I can't do it anymore.

On the other hand, it's not like my job is THAT strenuous! I had one day with a floor status patient, who generally just slept, and two days with a filter patient who was out of it. So what did I really do besides just hang out, change the filter bags, chart things, and do one bath? I mean, that's not exactly hauling bricks for 12 hours!

I have to get my sleepiness under control. I will be going to the sleep clinic. In the meantime, working on going to bed earlier and trying to stay more active and busy during the day. Bah.

In other work-related news, I am running another clothing sale. When I first joined the ICU I immediately wanted clothing with our unit logo. They said sure, go for it. Apparently if I wanted to do that, I'd have to set it up myself. I did and it went pretty well. This time I've gone with a different company, and offered some different clothing items as well as taking away the scrub options. We're allowed to wear t-shirts/sweatshirts and by and large that's what everyone wants.

I enjoy doing these sales because it gives me a chance to interact with my co-workers and do something for them and the unit.

Ah just remembered a dream I had where I found out some of my co-workers didn't think I was good at my job and resented me taking filter patients. Ouch, insecure much?

No comments: